
Hello Cornerstone Students!!! I hope you all have had a wonderful week so far! Today’s discussion topics are Interviewing, Networking, and Follow-Up.
I understand that not all of you know what exact career path you would like to pursue, and on the other spectrum, some of you brilliant UCF students know exactly what you want to do for the rest of your career life. Whether you are the former or latter, informational interviews are a useful and valuable way to get a more practical idea from a primary resource about what it would truly be like to work in a particular career field. The interviewee can give you insight into their particular line of work, but also reassure you that this could be the right career path to pursue once you graduate. They are also a great way to network and inquire about internship opportunities related to your specific field. This helpful website can give you the basics as to how to find an interviewee and approach them--CLICK ME!
Practice Interviews are also very important if you want to land a job. There is nothing worse than the feeling you get after a failed interview (well almost). By practicing interview questions in front of a mirror or with a friend, you can pinpoint your weaknesses and work on them. I recently did a mock interview on Perfect Interview.
I highly suggest you to utilize this tool that UCF provides. Some of the questions seemed a bit tedious to answer, but it gives you something to think about so you can feel prepared.
Remaining calm during an interview can be quite a daunting task, and difficult to do. What I usually do if I become anxious is simply breathe, form my thoughts, and smile. You need to regain your composure and focus on answering the question, confidently. In a sense, you are selling yourself in an interview. So what do you do when you hear that infamous phrase-- “Tell me about yourself”? It is one the most vague questions you can be asked. Where do you begin? I’ve fumbled with this question in the past and what I’ve learned works the best is to form a 30 to 45 minute commercial (or elevator pitch) about you that will spark your future employers interest. Such as, “Hello, I'm Jessica Storm, a soon to be graduate of the University of Central Florida. I am a creative artist at heart, and live my life with the passion an artist would have, yet I am business driven and strive for success in every aspect of my life. I am an optimist, a singer, an actress, a sales person, and am socially aware of the world around me. This is why choosing an Interdisciplinary Studies degree in arts, communications, and marketing is crucial to my future career goals.” Your thirty second commercial can change based upon who you are interviewing with, or you can use it if you are not in an interview as well.
Not knowing enough about the company or what they do makes me extremely nervous. Going into an interview without having any prior background knowledge about the company can pose a seriously problem, which is why doing research on the organization is very helpful. It can help you to prepare your answers in advance so you can ace your interview.
I recently had my first interview with a marketing company called “WGI” or “World Group Inc.”. I checked out their website beforehand, but the information was vague and their company pictures looked like they belonged on Facebook. I went into the interview and thought it seemed too good to be true (and I have found that if something seems too good to be true, chances are it usually is) but I felt great after leaving the interview, and thought I did exceptionally well. However, I was still unsure about the company so I decided to do some reconnaissance work. I did a Google search of the company and researched them on glassdoor.com; come to find out that they are a bogus entry-level marketing scam company. Needless to say, I did not waste my time with a second interview.
So, where can you find credible companies and great opportunities? Look no further than UCF’s career services. You can find internships, and sometimes even paid jobs. I recommend that you schedule an appointment to talk with someone face to face. The website, however, does offer some helpful information and links. It’s really easy to navigate; just click on the Students tab at the top of the page and choose either Undergraduate studies or Non-traditional knights. A non-traditional knight is someone who perhaps has unconventional scheduling or someone who is older or younger than the typical UCF student. The website also posts when upcoming job fairs will be held, along with events and workshops.
Getting involved with the community is also a wonderful way to meet people and feel good about yourself in the process. You can also add various community service projects you’ve done to your resume.
Now on to my favorite topic….NETWORKING! We live in a world that is constantly plugged in. It is vital for you to be able to create an image for yourself (have a good reputation), and have a stellar attitude. Because in a sense, we all advertise ourselves in one way or another. With the onset of social media, it is now easier than ever to network. I find that going to professional events and mingling with the elite is a great way to make some contacts. I also highly recommend that you make a Linked-In account. It’s free and a great way to connect with professionals in your field. You can upload your resume along with a picture and other relevant information about yourself that an employer might not get from a resume alone. I recently had a Skype interview with the head merchandizing manager of Perry Ellis Co. Although, I did not get the job (because I could not commit to a full time working schedule), it was still quite an experience to have a video streaming interview and in the process, make a great connection. She gave me useful advice and stated that she loved my personality and can see me working for the company’s corporate office in Miami once I graduate. It’s little things like this that can build your confidence, and keep you positive in your career search.
So, What do you once your interview is over? THANK THEM. Sending a thank you note or e-mail is a great way to refresh your interviewers memory of you, show that you are positive about pursuing a career at that chosen company, and whether or not you get the job or not, you have the ability to build a professional relationship or friendship with that person. Also, you can reiterate what you said in your interview or include details you might have missed, reinforcing your interview. Interviewers don’t want their phones to blow up interview after interview, which is why sending a thank you note is a great way to not come off as needy, but rather highly interested.
It’s best to send a thank you note right away. Once the interviewer contact you with a job offer or rejection, it is important to respond professionally. This website will give you some helpful tips on Follow-up.
Hi, I'm your first comment! :) That is exciting. I enjoyed reading about your style during interviews. I tend to over think my responses to their questions once I leave an interview. I go over and over and over all the things I said and how they reacted. I think about if I laughed at the right jokes or did I not make the right one at the right time. I wonder if they had ten more interviewers before or after me and were they bored by the time I got around or did I get the ball rolling for them. A lot goes through my head after I leave an interviewer. Very rarely do I not get the job once I have been interviewed. However, it is always so nice to get the call back for either a second interview or the job. Those are the phone calls that make answering phone numbers you don't recognize TOTALLY WORTH IT!
ReplyDeleteI, too, am always hired after an interview! In my opinion, you may be overthinking things (laughing at the right jokes and making them). Just be yourself. Employers are most likely sick of people acting the same way during an interview. It is the unique individuals that will stand out to them everytime!
DeleteWow Samara, way to post first. Girl, you are on top of your homework. I tend to over analyze my interviews, too! But we usually get the job so we must be doing something right!
DeleteWow, a lot of helpful info! Was there an assignment for this...? I'm posting just in case! Anyway, now I know more about career resources at UCF, so thanks :). I've never had a problem with interviews, but then again there is always room for improvement. I'll definitely check out the practice interviews at career services. Thanks yoooou :) :)
ReplyDeleteNo I dont think there was an assignment. ANd yes there was lots of helpful information in her posting. And also, yes, there is always room for improvement. Katie you sound so smart! :)
DeleteI think I'm going to check out the practice interviews as well! Seems like an invaluable resource to utilize, especially in the current state of the economy. I hope I improve as well!
DeleteJessica!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wealth of good information! No matter how many interviews you go on, each one sheds a different light on the process, the context and you as an individual. I agree with you, no interview, regardless of the the outcome, is a waste of time, as practice makes perfect. I also like your recommendation for a more in depth search of the organization you will be interviewing with. As it is important to know a company's objectives and business model, it is equally important to know how they compare with their competitors, and if they conduct business in an ethical manner (because, they will treat their employees the same). I was not aware of the "glassdoor.com" site, I will use it next time I get a chance. Thank you!
Nice job with the Perry Ellis interview! That sounds like an exciting prospect after graduation. I would personally dread a Skype interview. I would have take every precaution to avoid one. I've seen my screen image, Yikes!
Best of luck with WGI.
Sabrina
I dont think an interview that doesnt end in a hiring is wasted, but the gas spent to get there certainly was haha I also was not previously aware of the glassdoor website. Skype is so beyond me. I am not up to date on the internet vieo connections. Facebook is as far as my span goes.
DeletePS - I LOVE PERRY ELLIS!!! I hope that ends up well for you further down the road Jessica.
I never thought to thank the employer for an interview afterwards with a letter. Usually after I have an interview I always get hired on the spot so I just thank them for the position instead. For future use if I don't get the job I will still send them a thank you letter (it's an excellent idea in my opinion). I still haven't constructed a solid reume yet, but I hope I can accurately represent myself and never "choke" during an interview. Luckily, I don't care what others think about me so I am rarely nervous and am always willing to speak my mind (as long as what I'm thinking is appropriate to the situation). Thanks for the tips! Good luck to all with interviews and resume construction!
ReplyDeleteI agree, a thank you letter is a good idea. Way to go getting hired on the spot. It sounds like you're pretty good at interviews.
DeleteI have always followed up with a thank you card in the old days... and an e-mail, in the modern age (ha!)
DeleteI was taught in high school, and by my parents, whenever you are given an opportunity of any kind ,remember to thank that person, as they have given their time and attention to YOU! It is not only proper etiquette and a professional courtesy, but it demonstrates your respect for that individual and is a positive reflection on you. Additionally, it keeps the door of communication open. Often, employers take applications and resumes for a 2-4 week period of time, prior to making a decision. The more often they see your name, the better.... Psychology 101, Repetition! By thanking them, they will at times reply (albeit a form letter) that when a decision is made, you will be contacted. This gives you yet another opportunity to thank them, for their response, again, your name appears in their mailbox. Familiarity, gives you a better chance of having your call accepted, if after a couple of weeks, you haven't heard anything. This in turns, allows you to develop a relationship. Some may think this is being annoying, but I would beg to differ. Whenever I have had the need to take this approach, I have gotten the job, and was always told, one reason, was my "persistence".
I'm am glad to hear you all have had positive employment and interview opportunities, especially in this economy